Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance – PPGG) • DAAD
Since 2009, the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (known as Public Policy and Good Governance) is supporting future leaders from Africa, Central and Latin America, Asia (India), from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine (see list of countries), who want to promote democracy and social justice in their home countries. The programme, which is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, offers the chance to acquire a Master’s degree in Master programmes of particular relevance for the social, political and economic development in the students’ countries of origin. In the light of the principles of Good Governance, highly qualified graduates with a first academic degree are being educated in political science, law, economics and administration and prepared for future leading positions in their home countries.
What are the objectives of the programme?
This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in
politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles
of good governance and to prepare them in a practice-oriented
course for their professional life. Very good graduates with a first
university degree get the chance to obtain a master’s degree in
disciplines that are of special relevance to the social, political and
economic development of their home country. The knowledge and
experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholarship
holders to later contribute to the establishment of democratically
oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social
differences. With this programme, DAAD intends to support the good
governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries
Who can apply?
The scholarship programme is open to graduates in the field of social
sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public
administration from Africa, Central and Latin America, Asia, from
countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine (see list of
Target group The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively
contribute to the social and economic development of their home
countries. It is offered both for young graduates without professional
experience and for mid-career professionals.
What is fundable?
Scholarship of monthly 850 € for selected MA programmes
at German institutions of higher education listed below. The
study programmes are usually starting in Sep/Oct 2020 and
are taught in German and/or English.
contributions to health insurance in Germany
appropriate travel allowance
study and research subsidy
monthly rent subsidy where applicable,
allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable.
6-months-German language course from April 2020 to
September 2020. The language course takes place at selected
institutes in Germany and usually not at the universities of the
selected MA programmes. The language course is compulsory
also for those who attend a master´s course taught in English.
Main DAAD selection criteria:
study results so far
political and social engagement
a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit when returning to the home country
expected benefit when returning to the home country
Most recent university degree should be obtained in the last six years prior to the application for the scholarship. Applicants who have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline are not considered as eligible.
All master´s courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case. Applications must be submitted in German or English.
Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-SchmidtProgramme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance). You are allowed to submit your application for up to two master`s courses listed below.
Fill in the DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholarships only once making clear which study course is your first and which is your second priority.
Write a single letter of motivation for both university courses you choose, justifying your first and second priority choice. Send the DAAD scholarship form together with the letter of motivation and accompanied with the necessary documents listed below to the two universities of your choice.
Do NOT send it to DAAD.
List of Master courses
You can choose between the following universities, alphabetically listed by city:
1. Hertie School of Governance, Berlin: Master of Public Policy (MPP) (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 4 semesters) http://www.hertie-school.org/mpp/ Please register for this course online at the Hertie School of Governance: https://www.hertie-school.org/admissions/ e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org contact: Mr. Patrick Sullivan
2. Universität Duisburg-Essen: Master of Development and Governance (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 2 semesters) http://www.ma-dev-gov.de/ e-mail: email@example.com contact: Mr. Georg Lammich
3. Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP) (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 4 semesters) http://www.brandtschool.de/master-program/helmutschmidt-programme/ Please apply online at http://www.brandtschool.de/admissions/ e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org contact: Mr. Florian Heintze
4. Leuphana Universität Lüneburg: Public Economics, Law and Politics (PELP) (languages of instruction: English and German, programme duration: 4 semesters) https://www.leuphana.de/en/graduateschool/master/course-offerings/public-economics-lawpolitics/ppgg.html e-mail: email@example.com contact: Ms. Sarah Bich
5. Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-ProfitOrganisations (language of instruction: German, programme duration: 4 semesters) https://www.hs-osnabrueck.de/de/studium/studienangebot /master/management-in-nonprofit-organisationen-ma/helmutschmidt-programm-daad-stipendium/ e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org contact: Mr. Heiko Reinert
6. Universität Osnabrück: Master of Democratic Governance and Civil Society (languages of instruction: English and German, programme duration: 4 semesters) ST42 Helmut-Schmidt-Programm – Stipendienausschreibung, Anlage 1: Current Announcement – 04/2019 Page 5 of 5 https://www.sozialwissenschaften.uni-osnabrueck.de /international_students/helmut_schmidt_programme_hsp.html e-mail: email@example.com contact: Prof. Ulrich Schneckener
7. Universität Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy (languages of instruction: English and German, programme duration: 4 semesters) http://www.uni-passau.de/en/study/study-options /degrees/masters/ma-govern/daad-scholarship-ppgg/ e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org contact: Mr. Thomas Eibl
8. Universität Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM) (language of instruction: English, programme duration: 2 semesters) https://www.up-transfer.de/en/executive-education/master-ofpublic-management-daad-ppgg-scholarship// e-mail: email@example.com contact: Ms. Stefanie Uhde Please ensure that you meet all admission requirements of the master`s course of your choice before you apply at a maximum of two universities listed above